Skip to main content

Decision Time

Image result for lake


Sitting on that rough wooden bench at Young Disciple Camp, conviction grabbed me, and I knew what I had to do.  It was decision time.

Shifting into reverse, let's back up a bit to December, 2016.  Each Christmas, instead of giving gifts to each other, our family writes down a gift for Jesus, a resolution related to some struggle we're having, or anything God is calling us to do or surrender for the coming year.  For a while I had felt God calling me to publicly commit my life to Him through baptism.  So that's what I wrote down.  

This year I will commit my life to God through baptism.  

As the year progressed, I became more and more unsure of my commitment.  I didn't have the courage to make my stand.  That is, until YD.  At Young Disciple Camp, I was greatly blessed by all the campfire talks, Deep Bible Studies, etc.  Sabbath evening, the campers were given a chance to share what God had done for them at camp.  Suddenly, I felt a tremendous force urging me to go up and commit to being baptized as soon as possible.  I tried to resist it, but God was calling.  I knew what I had to do.  I got up and joined the line, rehearsing in my mind what I was going to say.  Finally, my turn came, and I shared that because of YD, I decided to be baptized.  Immediately, I was overwhelmed with an gratitude and peace, and I nearly broke down in gratitude I guess, (I don't know how to explain it...).  

A couple weeks later, on a Sabbath morning, I decided I would talk to my Pastor about getting baptized.  That afternoon, he pulled me aside and asked me if I wanted to be baptized at the church picnic coming up.  Exactly my thoughts.  Only God could have impressed him to ask me the very same day and the very same thing I was going to ask him.

August 26, 2017, I went under the glacier-fed waters of Norbury Lake, and arose to a new life.  God changed my life, and He wants to change yours, too.  Not that I'm perfect, far from it by any stretch... but God is perfect, and when I let Him take control of my life, my filthiness is covered by His blood, and in place of all my mistakes, is His perfection.

If God is calling you to commit your life to Him through baptism, don't resist another moment.  If you're already made this step, surrender yourself daily to Him, and He will continue guiding you along the narrow road that leads to our destination, heaven.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Light in the Dark

It’s dark. There’s no moon, and the clouds cover the stars. There is no light whatsoever, and you can’t see anything; not even your hand if you were to put it right in front of your face. You can hear sounds that only the night makes, and you begin to feel a chill creeping in. All you want to be is home! You’re out in the middle of the woods, lost in the darkness. You could find your way home— if only you could see something; anything! But alas, there is no light. All is pitch blackness.  Suddenly, you bump your toe on something. Jumping, you think it’s a wild animal but realize it’s only a rock. Wait a minute, this rock feels funny. You reach down and feel the object carefully, making sure that whatever it is doesn’t decide to bite. Your heart jumps; it’s a flashlight! In your joy you pick it up and fumble around a little. It feels kinda old, but you refuse to let your hopes down. You feel for the switch, and immediately there’s a beam of light stretching in front of you. Hap...

Will You Tell Them?

The day dawns bright like any other day. The sun sends its warm rays down toward earth, birds chirp merrily in the trees, and everyone goes on with their normal everyday lives.      A man and woman get into their brand new car and head to their downtown office to work. They impatiently make their way through slow traffic and finally arrive at their large office. Before long, they are both sitting at their desks, in expensive leather chairs, working on important jobs.      A yellow bus winds its way down the road to an elementary school. The blond curls of a little girl bounce as she chatters merrily with a friend. Soon the bus comes to a stop and they arrive at their destination. The girls skip happily into school, and sit down at their little desks.      Back in the suburbs of the city, a mother and her children start the new day by turning on the TV. The siblings squabble over shows and fight over the remote, and the mother, tired fro...

Open the Door

It was warm and cozy in my room at about 7:00 in the morning. I got up from my bed where I’d been sitting having my devotions and headed out to the kitchen for breakfast. Suddenly, I stopped. Should I leave my door open or keep it closed? I wondered. If I left it closed I’d be able to keep my room warmer for longer, but if I opened it, I would help warm up the rest of the house. I was wondering what to do when, suddenly, a thought popped into my head: It’s kind of like the church.  You might be wondering what my bedroom door has to do with the body of Christ. It’s like this: like my bedroom, the church is warm inside, spiritually. Outside, like the rest of the house, it’s very cold. People outside the church don’t enjoy the warmth that we do.  It made me think. Shouldn’t we, as a church, open our doors to help shed some warmth out on the rest of the world more often than we actually do? Shouldn’t we try to bring souls who are freezing, whether they realize it or not...