Skip to main content

Solid Ground


















A few days ago I woke up to a gory sight out the window.  An elk stood in the shallow part of the lake, but not alone.  Two dogs swam about it, trying to gain a deathhold on the poor beast, and drown it.  This went on and on, and it appeared the elk grew weaker and weaker. Had the elk stayed on land, it would have had no difficulty fighting the intruders.  But once it stepped into the water, it was vulnerable.

You and I are in the exact same situation as that elk.  1 Peter 5:8 says, “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.”

Satan is no dummy.  He knows our weak points, and will use every tactic imaginable to try to bring us down.  But we have a firm foundation, and that is Jesus. We have solid ground, in the secret place of the Most High.  Every time we compromise, every time we ignore the Holy Spirit and heed the devil’s whispering, we take one step further into the water.  One step into the water is one step away from safety. Once we’re in the water, resistance proves futile, and the devil can gain a deathgrip and drown us beneath the murky waters of sin.

As I write this, God is convicting me personally of something in my life standing between me and Him, and I am going to cut it out.  I want to stay anchored to the solid ground. What about you?

Jesus is coming soon!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Light in the Dark

It’s dark. There’s no moon, and the clouds cover the stars. There is no light whatsoever, and you can’t see anything; not even your hand if you were to put it right in front of your face. You can hear sounds that only the night makes, and you begin to feel a chill creeping in. All you want to be is home! You’re out in the middle of the woods, lost in the darkness. You could find your way home— if only you could see something; anything! But alas, there is no light. All is pitch blackness.  Suddenly, you bump your toe on something. Jumping, you think it’s a wild animal but realize it’s only a rock. Wait a minute, this rock feels funny. You reach down and feel the object carefully, making sure that whatever it is doesn’t decide to bite. Your heart jumps; it’s a flashlight! In your joy you pick it up and fumble around a little. It feels kinda old, but you refuse to let your hopes down. You feel for the switch, and immediately there’s a beam of light stretching in front of you. Hap...

Will You Tell Them?

The day dawns bright like any other day. The sun sends its warm rays down toward earth, birds chirp merrily in the trees, and everyone goes on with their normal everyday lives.      A man and woman get into their brand new car and head to their downtown office to work. They impatiently make their way through slow traffic and finally arrive at their large office. Before long, they are both sitting at their desks, in expensive leather chairs, working on important jobs.      A yellow bus winds its way down the road to an elementary school. The blond curls of a little girl bounce as she chatters merrily with a friend. Soon the bus comes to a stop and they arrive at their destination. The girls skip happily into school, and sit down at their little desks.      Back in the suburbs of the city, a mother and her children start the new day by turning on the TV. The siblings squabble over shows and fight over the remote, and the mother, tired fro...

Open the Door

It was warm and cozy in my room at about 7:00 in the morning. I got up from my bed where I’d been sitting having my devotions and headed out to the kitchen for breakfast. Suddenly, I stopped. Should I leave my door open or keep it closed? I wondered. If I left it closed I’d be able to keep my room warmer for longer, but if I opened it, I would help warm up the rest of the house. I was wondering what to do when, suddenly, a thought popped into my head: It’s kind of like the church.  You might be wondering what my bedroom door has to do with the body of Christ. It’s like this: like my bedroom, the church is warm inside, spiritually. Outside, like the rest of the house, it’s very cold. People outside the church don’t enjoy the warmth that we do.  It made me think. Shouldn’t we, as a church, open our doors to help shed some warmth out on the rest of the world more often than we actually do? Shouldn’t we try to bring souls who are freezing, whether they realize it or not...