Skip to main content

Tidal Wave

Image result for wave

“I’ll do something about it once it gets here,” the weathered old farmer muttered to himself, pruning one more branch off of his barren apple tree. For years he had tended this orchard, but nothing but a few rotten apples had ever grown. Situated on this island’s shore, his little orchard consumed all of his time. He did have a book on growing apples, but he didn’t really feel like reading it. Thus, he spent all of his time pruning, fertilizing, and watering it - all his own way, hoping that something would grow.

“Tidal wave! The boat will leave the island at midnight sharp!” The warning call resounded across the island. As there were no hills on the small island, complete evacuation was the only escape route. The old farmer looked up from his work. His gaze met an enormous wave slowly thundering towards the helpless island. “I’ll do something about it once it gets here. I mean, it’s gotta be at least a mile away yet. Once it’s actually close, I’ll grab my stuff and head to the boat. Besides, they’ll wait for me. I’ve got to keep working on this orchard.”

The wave kept rolling in. Midnight came, the boat left. The wave hit the edge of the island. Terrified, the man ran to get his belongings, but it was too late. He was lost in the depths of the sea, his orchard was ruined, and the island was left devastated.

Now, you’re probably thinking how dumb that guy was. But you know what? That man is us. There’s a tidal wave that’s rolling in to this earth. But we have an escape route.

“And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.” - Revelation 22:12

Warning signs are all around us. We can look out and see the might wave rolling in. But do we prepare? Do we grab our belongings and head to the dock, or just ignore it and say, “I’ll do something about it once it gets here.” Our orchards are our characters. Do we have the fruit of the spirit? If not, do we try to obtain them ourselves and ignore the instruction manual?

Friends, the tidal wave is coming. Are you prepared? The boat will leave, with or without us. Midnight is coming soon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Light in the Dark

It’s dark. There’s no moon, and the clouds cover the stars. There is no light whatsoever, and you can’t see anything; not even your hand if you were to put it right in front of your face. You can hear sounds that only the night makes, and you begin to feel a chill creeping in. All you want to be is home! You’re out in the middle of the woods, lost in the darkness. You could find your way home— if only you could see something; anything! But alas, there is no light. All is pitch blackness.  Suddenly, you bump your toe on something. Jumping, you think it’s a wild animal but realize it’s only a rock. Wait a minute, this rock feels funny. You reach down and feel the object carefully, making sure that whatever it is doesn’t decide to bite. Your heart jumps; it’s a flashlight! In your joy you pick it up and fumble around a little. It feels kinda old, but you refuse to let your hopes down. You feel for the switch, and immediately there’s a beam of light stretching in front of you. Hap...

Will You Tell Them?

The day dawns bright like any other day. The sun sends its warm rays down toward earth, birds chirp merrily in the trees, and everyone goes on with their normal everyday lives.      A man and woman get into their brand new car and head to their downtown office to work. They impatiently make their way through slow traffic and finally arrive at their large office. Before long, they are both sitting at their desks, in expensive leather chairs, working on important jobs.      A yellow bus winds its way down the road to an elementary school. The blond curls of a little girl bounce as she chatters merrily with a friend. Soon the bus comes to a stop and they arrive at their destination. The girls skip happily into school, and sit down at their little desks.      Back in the suburbs of the city, a mother and her children start the new day by turning on the TV. The siblings squabble over shows and fight over the remote, and the mother, tired fro...

Open the Door

It was warm and cozy in my room at about 7:00 in the morning. I got up from my bed where I’d been sitting having my devotions and headed out to the kitchen for breakfast. Suddenly, I stopped. Should I leave my door open or keep it closed? I wondered. If I left it closed I’d be able to keep my room warmer for longer, but if I opened it, I would help warm up the rest of the house. I was wondering what to do when, suddenly, a thought popped into my head: It’s kind of like the church.  You might be wondering what my bedroom door has to do with the body of Christ. It’s like this: like my bedroom, the church is warm inside, spiritually. Outside, like the rest of the house, it’s very cold. People outside the church don’t enjoy the warmth that we do.  It made me think. Shouldn’t we, as a church, open our doors to help shed some warmth out on the rest of the world more often than we actually do? Shouldn’t we try to bring souls who are freezing, whether they realize it or not...